Tuesday, October 03, 2006

.: conversations on the go - cont'd :.

as we shared about differences in cultures etc. my colleague highlighted:

S: you know, there is an interesting observation i made about the malays, which i think could be unique to singapore

me: what?

S: that you can have tudung-clad makciks (my colleague has spent 15 years here & thus am capable of malay, & singlish) and walking next to them would be their teenage daughters who are scantily clad, with tattoos etc. i mean in india, you wont have that. the girl would probably be bashed up by the family.

me: really?

S: just the other day, i was at MOS (Ministry of Sound - I know coz i read the papers) & u have these malay girls drinking, smoking & dancing, and their dressed so provocatively. i mean, u can still look nice & be decently clad.

me: yeah...i guess, it depends on the upbringing (nothing much to say mah)

S: You know, in India, messing up with Muslim girls is a NO-NO. I mean, even at the varsities muslim girls are respected. And they are the most gorgeous girls. You know the afghan girls, have the most perfect features- everything! But we wont even dare mess around with them. I mean, asking her out for a cup of coffee is something you'd think twice about, lest the family comes after you.

me: dalam hati (in my heart) BESTNYA!!!!!

2 comments:

Yours Truly said...

salaam marlina ...

subhanallaah! what an eye-opener and a culture shock. especially for a frog in a well like me who's been living in this concrete jungle for the past 30 years.

ps: i bloghopped from erni blossom. =)

Yours Truly,
http://internalaffairs.wordpress.com

marlina said...

salaam lyana...

thank you for "bloghopping" by. yes, it was an eye-opener for me too. well, this colleague of mine isnt muslim so, i was also warmed by his perspectives on these issues.

i think i read some of your posts before. keep on blogging!

regards,
marlina

ps: i wish i have the discipline to blog more often but yeah, getting there =D