Tuesday, August 28, 2007

.: Trapped! :.


Twice in a month, I’ve had bad experience with lifts.

No, I am not talking about lifts that take ages to reach the floor or the lift that doesn’t take more than 5 people without screaming a flat “tet…tet”, signalling people to rush out (like the one at home)…

I am talking about lifts that went berserk, or those that suddenly stop dead in their tracks (a figure of speech – they were never alive in the first place)

Incident 1 – 120807. sunday
Location: marine parade
Occasion: Friend’s wedding Reception (which I am supposed to blog abt – still in draft)
In the lift: The Bride & Groom, The bridesmaids (me and yati), The Groom’s mother, The Mak Andam a.k.a make up artist, The Photographer.

The lift went up & came down in a single, jerky motion. The numbers on the screen went up all the way to the 15th floor. We were still on the second floor.

With hearts in the mouth, we were grateful the lift door opened, and we were safe. Took the other lift.

Truth: It all happened so fast, I didn’t really realise what was happening. The near-death experience bonded us further.

Incident 2 – 260807. sunday
Location: changi road
Occasion: going for a meeting
In the lift: Me & 3 other brothers

Went into the lift, happily pressed “2”. Suddenly the lift stopped, no ventilation, everything went still. We pressed the bell for help. 1 of the brothers started singing & was told to keep quiet by another coz he was using up the already-limited oxygen faster. I would’ve laughed if not for the fact I was trapped in the lift. Worse, the lift was shielded. NO RECEPTION. None of us could call out. We pressed the bell for help. No one came to rescue.

Confession: I almost cried coz I was becoming claustrophobic & it was getting warm. Looking at the floor space, I thought it’d be crammed for all of us to sit down. Then, the frightening thought that we could be stuck in the small space for hours without much air, food and water, crossed my mind. I thought about having to solat maghrib in the lift, about having to do tayammum. Worse, if u need to go toilet urgently. Rest assured, they were NOT happy thoughts.

Truth: We were stuck for I think, a total of 5 –10 mins (or less).
the same person who sang came up with a smart idea to force the door open. It was surprisingly easy. Almost kicked myself for not reading the sign that there was some maintenance power outage thingy (I was laughing looking at how some words were spelt wrongly instead)

The SHORT wait was LONG enough. It was the uncertainty of the wait that got to me.


Ni belum tunggu kena hisab at padang masyhar. May Allah protect us from that, insya allah.

5 comments:

madame blossom said...

ada maintenance sign rupanyer.. ha.. lain kali baca notis notis - it's put up to be noticed.=D

alhamdulillah u selamat.

Anonymous said...

umm... tu la~ tingkat due pun nak naik lip~ wahahah.

AzRaNan said...

Mar! I have exactly the same fear. My office is on the 20th floor, I will make sure I take it with someone in case the power goes out when Im in it. Then pikir balik, ek eh...nanti kat kubur lagi claustrophobic and dark. Aku ni betul belum bersedia!!

marlina said...

blossom,
memang betul...lain kali, nanti i baca...

ruqa,
u know i didnt really know that there is stairs to the second floor?

nan,
it was really scary...is urs a shielded lift? if not, can call ur hubby to come to ur rescue... if u take the stairs to the 20th floor EVERYDAY, i think u will disappear into thin air...cakap pasal kubur...seram...

Anonymous said...

despite the few incidents u've had, i'm glad u're ok

:)